Friday, July 5, 2013

{Awesome} Homemade Laundry Detergent

     Pinterest is full of good ideas and I like to give them a try - not just leave them useless on my boards! This was my first venture into homemade cleaning supplies, and of course I chose to do it the week my husband got a new job and life was all sorts of crazy!

     However, we ran out of laundry soap and there was no way I was making a trip to the store with all four girls on the first week of my domestication. I was putting laundry off for a few days in hopes of getting a chance to run to the store by myself when life very quickly threw me a curve ball - well, several. Potty training accidents, husband's new work clothes, baby spit up all over the bed, and smelly dish towels forced me into action. It was time to give it a try.

     Due to my procrastination, I needed some detergent and I needed it right away. So I tucked aside my original recipe that called for boiling and shredding soap and went for the more daring choice. I found the recipe as follows on this lovely blog here. I then made it less concentrated, quadrupled the recipe, and gave it a new name.

{Awesome} Homemade Laundry Detergent
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 TBS Borax
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 TBS Washing Soda 
  • 1/3 cup plus 1TBS Dawn Dish soap
  • 12 cups Water - 6 boiled, 6 room temp

1. I first guzzled the last of my Minute Maid orange juice conveniently packaged in a nifty 1 gallon jug, and washed it out thoroughly (I was worried about my laundry smelling orange-y).

2. I then used a funnel to pour in each of the first three ingredients (do the Dawn last or you have to rinse and dry the funnel...just saying).

3. Next, I slowly poured in the boiled water.

4. Then I gently swished the mixture together to avoid excess bubbles. (This picture only shows a couple cups of the mixture). Make sure all the ingredients have been dissolved.

5. Lastly, I slowly poured in the room temp water.

All you need is 1/4 cup for each load. I went with it and held my breath! Not really, I set a timer as I am notorious for leaving wet loads of laundry in the washer for hours (dare I admit, days?) at a time.

My opinion? A-W-E-S-O-M-E-N-E-S-S! My clothes were sparkling {not literally} clean, oh-so-soft and fluffy, and didn't leave my clothes feeling heavy like my other detergent did. Oh, and it was fast, easy, and so cheap I celebrated by buying some containers to organize my pantry with the money I saved.

Just how cheep you ask? I'm no mathematician, but my calculations came to $0.024 per load! Compared to the $0.38 per load I was paying for my Tide Free and Clear. I figured a gallon would last me about 9 weeks and would only cost me about $1.53 vs the over $15 I was paying for the other stuff.

I've done at least 20 loads of laundry with my new {Awesome} Homemade Laundry Detergent and still get excited at how soft they are. It almost makes me not want to try making {Awesome} Homemade Fabric Softener...almost.

So, you're going to go give it a go now aren't ya?

7 comments:

  1. Thank for Sharing the recipe! I am excited to try it, but I was wandering, have you made a few gallons at a time and the mixture stays good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only made on gallon because it lasts us almost two months :) I do a little swish before each load because some of the mixture separates in between.

    So, if you make it several gallons at a time it should be ok but I would suggest at least pouring them into maybe 1 gallon containers so it is easy to lift and swish!

    Thanks for your comment - I've had many shares but yours is the first comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this HE safe???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying...trying to figure this blog thing out still :)

      I looked up online and everywhere I read said the only concern would be getting too many bubbles from the DAWN dish soap. However, there is so little DAWN in there I wouldn't see how that could be a problem! Maybe do a trial load with half the dose :)

      Delete
  4. Okay, I'm finished with my first batch with a similar recipe. I'm now going to try your variation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete